Saturday 13 October 2012

just keep swimming

It was T's first swim - ever - today. My heart swells with pride at the thought...his excitement was evident as he leaned toward the pool...we'd arrived early so he could become accustomed to the sounds & smells of the new and foreign place. He played (read: chewed) with his favourite teether in my lap, slowly soaking up the atmosphere. Soon, a pool of dribble as big as that we were about to enter formed on my leg...he giggled as I tickled him, both eagerly awaiting our turn.

I had been anxious he would hate it. Scream nonstop the entire 30 minutes. I needn't have worried. Hairy moments were had as water splashed him, but he recovered quickly cradled in the arms he adores and with the woman who adores him back. We played together, I concentrated on the new techniques we were learning...T busying himself with chewing every prop we were given, his face crumpling when the moment came to part with his new plaything. I helped him sit on the edge, fall into my arms and climb out...we kicked and splashed and then the final game was played. It was time.

T ducked under the water for the first time in his short 6 months...(not including the odd face-plant in his bath, nor the time he slipped from Papy's sure hold) he spluttered and cried in fright, unsure of this new big bath. He settled quickly enough, grasping my shoulder and gripping my side with iron limbs.

As quickly as it had begun, the lesson was done. To be repeated next week, and the the next and so on for every week we are able. The structured learning of T's life has commenced. No doubt dance and language lessons and various sport will follow in good time. Saturdays will never be the same. Nor should they be...to be part of the magic of T's learning is worth every minute spent on the sidelines. And every minute spent in the thick of it with him is indeed, magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment