Friday 7 December 2012

tradition

I sit here tonight, busy with needle & thread, stitching a colourful design that will be the centerpiece of your Santa sack.

It is tradition on my side of the family that a child receives their gifts from Santa in a sack placed at the end of the bed, & sweets in the stocking hung nearby. These presents were allowed to be opened as soon as we woke on Christmas morning. Those under the tree had to wait until our grandparents arrived, usually around 10am. The waiting was a torture I remember keenly!

Teddy, you will not be receiving sweets for Christmas - this year or ever - from us at least. But you will receive a gift from Santa in your sack placed at the end of your bed, provided you have been good of course!

Your sack will be made by me, with love. I began late this year, optimistic it will be finished and thus I sit here stitching whenever you close your wee eyes in slumber. Speaking of, I had better continue lest it be next year by the time Santy has a place to leave your gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment